Thirteen cookie
No, we didn't give our daughter 13 cookies, but she did get a HUGE cookie. See for yourself...


It's about 6 inches in diameter! And she deserved it. Here's why: For Family Home Evening we have been teaching her the 13 Articles of Faith for the last couple months using the songs in the Primary book. She loves to sing and we decided those would be wonderful songs to tech her since she was interested in singing. It has been more of a blessing than we ever dreamed! By learning the Articles of Faith, many words she hears in church and in the scriptures are more familiar and often times she will start reciting or singing the article of faith that corresponds with the words she heard. Not only does she connect the words for church things, but every day activities as well. In fact, in Utah at Tammy's wedding dinner, (see wedding post) we went to the Gathering place and Ella kept asking me about the gathering song...I could not figure out what she was talking about. After getting somewhat frustrated with me she started singing the tenth article of faith! And then it dawned on me...but it was too late, she had figured it out on her own. Anyway, we honestly didn't know how much she would pick up, but because she knows a lot of the lingo that we use in the church, she listens to "talking time" and devotional. She is really an inspiration to me. And my heart just melts when I hear her sing. Often times on hard days, she will sing the article of faith that I need to hear at that moment.
Oh, and for all of you who are curious...we did not bribe her with getting the cookie if she memorized everything. Yesterday, she had all the songs memorized except number 13, which we have been working on for 2 weeks. She started singing it in her room and like a good mother, I listened outside her door to see if she knew it and sure enough! So we knew that for Family Home Evening that night we would sing all of the songs and then celebrate with her. Ella had no idea until the cookie was cooking in the oven 1) why we were making cookies and 2) why the ginormous one was ALL for her! Bob knew that's what he wanted to do for her: make her big 1-3 cookies, since that was his reward in Primary so many years ago :) Now, I have to apologize to the Pattens and CA primary presidency who started this: Of all the times Bob talked about the cookie, I never heard it was a 1-3 so I thought a big one would suffice. I did put whipped cream with the 1-3 on the side so she could dip her cookie, though. So sorry it wasn't exactly a 13 cookie, but you know this cookie has lasted Ella two days so far! I can't imagine two cookies that filled the entire pan--that's like half the dough! Of course, the parents weren't the ones making them for the primary kids either... :)

Her smile last night was more than "I got a huge cookie." She really understood how proud of her we were of her recent accomplishment. I just hope she doesn't expect HUGE cookies every time. :)

Way to go, sweetheart!
It's about 6 inches in diameter! And she deserved it. Here's why: For Family Home Evening we have been teaching her the 13 Articles of Faith for the last couple months using the songs in the Primary book. She loves to sing and we decided those would be wonderful songs to tech her since she was interested in singing. It has been more of a blessing than we ever dreamed! By learning the Articles of Faith, many words she hears in church and in the scriptures are more familiar and often times she will start reciting or singing the article of faith that corresponds with the words she heard. Not only does she connect the words for church things, but every day activities as well. In fact, in Utah at Tammy's wedding dinner, (see wedding post) we went to the Gathering place and Ella kept asking me about the gathering song...I could not figure out what she was talking about. After getting somewhat frustrated with me she started singing the tenth article of faith! And then it dawned on me...but it was too late, she had figured it out on her own. Anyway, we honestly didn't know how much she would pick up, but because she knows a lot of the lingo that we use in the church, she listens to "talking time" and devotional. She is really an inspiration to me. And my heart just melts when I hear her sing. Often times on hard days, she will sing the article of faith that I need to hear at that moment.
Oh, and for all of you who are curious...we did not bribe her with getting the cookie if she memorized everything. Yesterday, she had all the songs memorized except number 13, which we have been working on for 2 weeks. She started singing it in her room and like a good mother, I listened outside her door to see if she knew it and sure enough! So we knew that for Family Home Evening that night we would sing all of the songs and then celebrate with her. Ella had no idea until the cookie was cooking in the oven 1) why we were making cookies and 2) why the ginormous one was ALL for her! Bob knew that's what he wanted to do for her: make her big 1-3 cookies, since that was his reward in Primary so many years ago :) Now, I have to apologize to the Pattens and CA primary presidency who started this: Of all the times Bob talked about the cookie, I never heard it was a 1-3 so I thought a big one would suffice. I did put whipped cream with the 1-3 on the side so she could dip her cookie, though. So sorry it wasn't exactly a 13 cookie, but you know this cookie has lasted Ella two days so far! I can't imagine two cookies that filled the entire pan--that's like half the dough! Of course, the parents weren't the ones making them for the primary kids either... :)
Her smile last night was more than "I got a huge cookie." She really understood how proud of her we were of her recent accomplishment. I just hope she doesn't expect HUGE cookies every time. :)
Way to go, sweetheart!
Comments