Sew: what we are up to

Well, now that winter is almost over (better yet, because I am free again), we are making quilts for the kids. When I say we, I mean the girl I visit teach, Leann, is showing me what to do and I am doing it :) She is crazy talented...hopefully I can learn a thing or two.


We have purchased all the material. For James, it will be trains. Ella wants a Princess room, but she also wants Frogs--Enter: Princess and a Frog design (see above panels.)



In the midst of this quilt project, my Visiting Teaching companion told me about the Humanitarian center inside of Deseret Industries. After President Eyering's awesome talk about service in action, we went to see how we could help. The coloring pages weren't available, but the words "burrito baby" piqued my interest. The director gave me a one page paper on how the babies were made, but said she had never seen one done, so they weren't sure what else to tell me. With Leann leaving for the weekend, we took on the challenge. I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to do ONE that night. Somewhere in the range of 3 hours :) In my defense, I haven't sewn in a long time and I had no clue what I was doing.

Here are my burrito babies. The blue one is the only one down so far--and it is now on the board at the Humanitarian center. (And this baby was born only a few days after my brother's wife had her baby. We are so excited for them. Congratulations! can't wait to see you all next week.)

The church prefers the darker skin so they can send the babies to the orphanages all around the world. Ella loved helping with the babies and has now learned to stuff the pockets, gather lace, hand sew and press the pedal for someone else sewing on the machine. James colors fabric, pulls on bobbins and tries to eat the stuffing. We have started 9 babies and only completed one so far, but are super close to finishing 3 more. Leann's back, though, so we tying Ella's quilt! It's good to have something to do and reuse skills I haven't used in years.

Note: While explaining to the kids what an iron is for, and that it is hot...yep, I nicked the side of it. Result: 4 inch long burn down my arm. See kids, I told you it's hot! So I dare say that mistake slowed down our progress for awhile, but we are right back to it.

Comments

Katie said…
Cute! Those babies are adorable! It looks lokie you guys had so much fun on Ella's birthday!! I have been thinking about you. We need to get the girls together!

Popular Posts