Tumer-ech!

Anyone ever cooked with Tumeric? More than once?

I have decided to try canning pickles. A friend told me about a U-pick place and I got tons of dill, onions, cucumbers for cheap, for this reason. I might add Bob despises cucumbers, so I don't eat/buy they much. It's my guilty pleasure. My aunt has this recipe that is so easy and so delish, but I never have all the ingredients at the same time (usually missing the cucumber :) It is olives, baby tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, Italian seasoning and mayo. That's it. I made it for the kids for snack...they finished all of it so I didn't even get a picture (not that Bob would have wanted to see it, though :)

So Pickles. I love LOVE Dill. Bob love LOVES Sweet. So I am attempting to make both. In the meantime, there have been a good 15 lbs. of cucumbers in my fridge, hiding in the crisper so Bob doesn't have to see them.

I made DILL pickles yesterday. I fresh packed them, so I didn't have to do the whole weeks long brine process. Maybe some day I will have the room (and motivation) for that. The fresh heads of dill smelled so good. And even after some of the cucumbers didn't fit in the jars...and had sat in the brine mix, they already tasted more like dill pickles (even though they are supposed to sure for 4-6 weeks) There is one jar that didn't seal well, so in a few weeks, it should be ready to eat :)

So back to the tumeric. I bought some because my recipe called for it in the sweet pickle spears. It wasn't "interesting" as said in my foods class, until it was boiling...stand back! One whiff cleared my sinuses and made my tear ducts mad...and I had to stir it so the sugar wouldn't burn. Ech. Not a fan at all. "I hope you love me, Bob" I kept repeating from the kitchen. I packed and sealed the pickles being very careful not to lick or taste any of it. I had Bob smell it and he put his head over the pot. Uh oh. His eyes bulged as I quickly returned the offensive liquid. Blech.

I like sweet pickles, but I don't think I will ever make THIS recipe again. Maybe, but only if I wear a gas mask...

Comments

Katie said…
yumm! I have heard that homemade pickles are soooo much better than store bought. Way to go! YES! we moved! The new people told me that someone stopped by for us and I could not think of who it would be! I will call you. The girls would looove to play with Ella:)

Popular Posts