Clouds roll in (surgery part two)
After a fitful sleep, I awoke Friday morning and looked out the window, off the 8th floor. The clouds had moved in and the sun was rising. Some of the nurses came to my room to enjoy the huge window view. I tried to capture it on the phone, even though it was almost out of batteries. But no, it blinked and wouldn't let me take a picture, I quickly sent texts to Bob and my father in law to let them know I didn't have a charger. (wasn't planning to stay, remember?)
Things only got worse.
Andrew gave me pain meds. I felt good, but didn't want to overdo it before breakfast (done that before after other surgeries!) But after getting up and almost passing out, I felt nauseous when food finally came. Maybe I said too proudly the day before, I was so happy I didn't feel sick. Could eat real food. Grr! The coffee smell didn't help either. Forget breakfast. I kept my eyes closed to avoid being overly dizzy and when the Physical Therapist came in, I couldn't focus on her, she was so fuzzy. She had me answer all the "what day is it, what's my name, where are we" questions, which I did just fine. But when I stood up or started walking with the walker, it all went black. Over and over again. I made it to the end of the bed. Not even to the hallway. It wasn't the pain, my leg was great. No shooting pains at all. But then my blood pressure dropped from 123 while I was sitting to 88 when I stood up. I was sent back to bed and told "guess you are staying another day." So frustrating after such an encouraging night. And it was determined that C-sections aren't what make me dizzy and pass out, but the general anesthesia, which is why I took so long to wake up the day before. In the midst of all this, another neuro was called in--Dr. W. She had me do more tests and agreed things weren't right and I couldn't leave. (So much for outpatient...)
Laura from Social Services, who dressed in a flowy white blouse looked like an angel, came in my room. I had read what that department does in the patient packet, so really wasn't sure why she had come to see me. She asked about our flights leaving the next day and said she could change them. I suggested (at least I think I said this) she write the letter to the airlines and talk with my fatherinlaw about the flights.
With my phone out, I emailed family to ask when they were coming. Already on their way, they had got the kids excited to take mom home. Super letdown. They came around noon after the fiasco with the blood pressure and I had to break the bad news. James brought me a get well soon balloon he helped pick out. It was such a nice day outside (best of week I am told) no one needed coats at all. Seeing how nice the day was only made it harder that I wouldn't be enjoying it since I had to stay longer.
Laura returned when I was by myself and said "I cancelled your flights." I choked and my heart started racing. Not the best news for keeping BP under control! She made calls to my family and after instating and re-cancelling our flights, it was done, with the understanding, we just need to call the airlines and all will be taken care of at little to no extra cost because of medical emergency. The eye of the storm: MIRACLE of the day! Thank you, Laura!
Dr. K was called and I tried to ask him my questions, but I was so out of it, he only humored me. Very short answers and a "why are we doing this now" attitude. I got another chance with the PT later in the day but same results. The nurses took it all in stride. Sharon D was a wonderful day nurse and so sweet.
It was so hard to watch the family leave again. But they needed to get back for my sister in law's birthday that night. I was really worried about Ella and James, not having Bob there and another night with mom, but they did really well. The nurse gave me a heat pack...and I quickly removed it after the worst pain since the surgery started. I went to bed early, to be alert and ready to prove to them ALL I was going home on Saturday!
Things only got worse.
Andrew gave me pain meds. I felt good, but didn't want to overdo it before breakfast (done that before after other surgeries!) But after getting up and almost passing out, I felt nauseous when food finally came. Maybe I said too proudly the day before, I was so happy I didn't feel sick. Could eat real food. Grr! The coffee smell didn't help either. Forget breakfast. I kept my eyes closed to avoid being overly dizzy and when the Physical Therapist came in, I couldn't focus on her, she was so fuzzy. She had me answer all the "what day is it, what's my name, where are we" questions, which I did just fine. But when I stood up or started walking with the walker, it all went black. Over and over again. I made it to the end of the bed. Not even to the hallway. It wasn't the pain, my leg was great. No shooting pains at all. But then my blood pressure dropped from 123 while I was sitting to 88 when I stood up. I was sent back to bed and told "guess you are staying another day." So frustrating after such an encouraging night. And it was determined that C-sections aren't what make me dizzy and pass out, but the general anesthesia, which is why I took so long to wake up the day before. In the midst of all this, another neuro was called in--Dr. W. She had me do more tests and agreed things weren't right and I couldn't leave. (So much for outpatient...)
Laura from Social Services, who dressed in a flowy white blouse looked like an angel, came in my room. I had read what that department does in the patient packet, so really wasn't sure why she had come to see me. She asked about our flights leaving the next day and said she could change them. I suggested (at least I think I said this) she write the letter to the airlines and talk with my fatherinlaw about the flights.
With my phone out, I emailed family to ask when they were coming. Already on their way, they had got the kids excited to take mom home. Super letdown. They came around noon after the fiasco with the blood pressure and I had to break the bad news. James brought me a get well soon balloon he helped pick out. It was such a nice day outside (best of week I am told) no one needed coats at all. Seeing how nice the day was only made it harder that I wouldn't be enjoying it since I had to stay longer.
Laura returned when I was by myself and said "I cancelled your flights." I choked and my heart started racing. Not the best news for keeping BP under control! She made calls to my family and after instating and re-cancelling our flights, it was done, with the understanding, we just need to call the airlines and all will be taken care of at little to no extra cost because of medical emergency. The eye of the storm: MIRACLE of the day! Thank you, Laura!
Dr. K was called and I tried to ask him my questions, but I was so out of it, he only humored me. Very short answers and a "why are we doing this now" attitude. I got another chance with the PT later in the day but same results. The nurses took it all in stride. Sharon D was a wonderful day nurse and so sweet.
It was so hard to watch the family leave again. But they needed to get back for my sister in law's birthday that night. I was really worried about Ella and James, not having Bob there and another night with mom, but they did really well. The nurse gave me a heat pack...and I quickly removed it after the worst pain since the surgery started. I went to bed early, to be alert and ready to prove to them ALL I was going home on Saturday!
Comments