Day of decision (surgery part one)
We drove out to Oakland Wednesday night before surgery and made it just in time to do some work in the temple. The spiritual feeling was incredible being in the temple with my mother in law. It was the perfect way to refocus on what is truly important and hold fast to the covenants I have made. Bob also went to the temple in Rexburg the same night. We were in the same "place" for a little while, the best place we could have been!
I was amazingly calm the day of surgery.Except for the not eating factor, I felt great. So great, I wondered "what in the world I was doing? Surgery? With an international neurosurgeon?
No, over the last few years the pain has diminished, but it is very numb in certain areas. And up until now, drs. didn't know what the nerve would do next. Maybe I should just run the other way. More like run a few steps and then hobble away, but that's beside the point." Ella and James came with us to the hospital, and found lots to read and color. They kept asking when the drs. would fix my leg, when I would leave them for my appointment. Ella found books! Surprise! James found a Spider-man drawing pad, so I read the pages, while he tried to draw the images and did a really good job. Surgery was scheduled for 1 pm, but I would go to pre-op at 12:20. Around 12:30 in my mal-nourished state, I thought I heard the desk nurses say "Patten. Oh we already sent them up." 12:45 My father in law gets a phone call...from the lady at the desk...sitting directly in front of us. Sure enough, they forgot to send me up.
The day before I looked up on my online medical chart and it didn't say "nerve decompression surgery" It said "neuroplasty exploration with or without nerve grafting" In other words: Plastic surgery of the nerves! And insanely, I was still at peace with this decision...actually after hearing horror stories of nerve decompressions, I was very okay with it!
Getting prepped
Dr O and Dr K come up. General anesthesia is decided due to the invasive-ness, I guess. Then the anesthesiologists drs. try to find the nerve on ultrasound to mark it on the skin. They can't find it...Can I run now? Nope. I am wheeled into the OR and the procedure is being explained to the nurses in two steps. Part one, I would lie on my back. Part two: I would be turned on my side for biopsy of the lower foot, so nerves could be used from there to graft into the damaged nerve in my leg. Explanations out of the way, they put the breathing mask on, meds in the IV and I went under super fast.
During surgery (Semi graphic, but not really)
What we have learned in snippets. Drs. are great, but really try to say too much in too little (Am I right?)
They cut at the top of the hip where the nerve should have been and true to the ultrasound, it wasn't there, so they had to cut down farther towards the leg and found the nerve which "proved to be very compressed." Essentially, there was NO other way the problem would have been fixed dur to the extent of the injury. Dr. K. took pictures of each step. Drs O, K, released the nerve from its location and then "followed the nerve all the way down" to make sure it wasn't stuck anywhere else. When satisfied, Dr. K glued the incision site. The whole procedure took 2 hours. (supposed to be one hour "unless they can't find the nerve," but that nerve can be FIVE different ways in a person. So although, Dr K was joking, it was true :)
Post Anesthesia
I woke up being wheeled to recovery. Mind you, this was to be an "outpatient, come and go" procedure. Dr K came in and said "surgery went stellar" and he had pictures to show me when I was more awake. I drifted back to sleep, awake, and back. At one point, they asked if I wanted to stay the night, be admitted to the hospital, and I wasn't sure. It was about 5 pm, I was still totally numb down both legs and obviously not allowed to get up. The Drs were deciding and knowing we were flying out Saturday, they wanted me to stay. The recovery attendant, Mike, said that was the best choice. I told him about the 3 hour car ride back to central CA I would have had ahead of me and stunned, he said "Now I am really glad they made you stay!"
My in-laws went back to stay in Oakland, near the temple, and I went to the 8th floor to be settled into my room. Of course, I was wide awake and de-numbing when they left, but amazingly not super hungry. Even though I hadn't eaten since 10 pm the night before. After a Q&A of '"where's the food?" with half a dozen nurses, I finally got dinner when the nurse heard me tell my mom on the phone I was still waiting for food at 10 pm. Lesson learned: Don't get admitted at dinnertime.
Everything had gone so well and the Spirit of strength was palpable. I was so encouraged by what the Drs said and things seemed to be off to a great recovery. Putting all faith and trust in Him brought miracles we had only dreamed of.
My night nurse, Andrew, was from Perth, Australia and so helpful. He asked me about the iPad and what I use it for. Having the iPad was so nice, since the IV in my hand hurt to text, but I could hunt and peck the keys on the iPad to check email and stay somewhat connected. I called Bob and my mom, relaxed with some General Conference talks and went to sleep. At midnight, Andrew gave me some pain meds, but I didn't know what they were until the next day.
I was amazingly calm the day of surgery.Except for the not eating factor, I felt great. So great, I wondered "what in the world I was doing? Surgery? With an international neurosurgeon?
No, over the last few years the pain has diminished, but it is very numb in certain areas. And up until now, drs. didn't know what the nerve would do next. Maybe I should just run the other way. More like run a few steps and then hobble away, but that's beside the point." Ella and James came with us to the hospital, and found lots to read and color. They kept asking when the drs. would fix my leg, when I would leave them for my appointment. Ella found books! Surprise! James found a Spider-man drawing pad, so I read the pages, while he tried to draw the images and did a really good job. Surgery was scheduled for 1 pm, but I would go to pre-op at 12:20. Around 12:30 in my mal-nourished state, I thought I heard the desk nurses say "Patten. Oh we already sent them up." 12:45 My father in law gets a phone call...from the lady at the desk...sitting directly in front of us. Sure enough, they forgot to send me up.
The day before I looked up on my online medical chart and it didn't say "nerve decompression surgery" It said "neuroplasty exploration with or without nerve grafting" In other words: Plastic surgery of the nerves! And insanely, I was still at peace with this decision...actually after hearing horror stories of nerve decompressions, I was very okay with it!
Getting prepped
Dr O and Dr K come up. General anesthesia is decided due to the invasive-ness, I guess. Then the anesthesiologists drs. try to find the nerve on ultrasound to mark it on the skin. They can't find it...Can I run now? Nope. I am wheeled into the OR and the procedure is being explained to the nurses in two steps. Part one, I would lie on my back. Part two: I would be turned on my side for biopsy of the lower foot, so nerves could be used from there to graft into the damaged nerve in my leg. Explanations out of the way, they put the breathing mask on, meds in the IV and I went under super fast.
During surgery (Semi graphic, but not really)
What we have learned in snippets. Drs. are great, but really try to say too much in too little (Am I right?)
They cut at the top of the hip where the nerve should have been and true to the ultrasound, it wasn't there, so they had to cut down farther towards the leg and found the nerve which "proved to be very compressed." Essentially, there was NO other way the problem would have been fixed dur to the extent of the injury. Dr. K. took pictures of each step. Drs O, K, released the nerve from its location and then "followed the nerve all the way down" to make sure it wasn't stuck anywhere else. When satisfied, Dr. K glued the incision site. The whole procedure took 2 hours. (supposed to be one hour "unless they can't find the nerve," but that nerve can be FIVE different ways in a person. So although, Dr K was joking, it was true :)
Post Anesthesia
I woke up being wheeled to recovery. Mind you, this was to be an "outpatient, come and go" procedure. Dr K came in and said "surgery went stellar" and he had pictures to show me when I was more awake. I drifted back to sleep, awake, and back. At one point, they asked if I wanted to stay the night, be admitted to the hospital, and I wasn't sure. It was about 5 pm, I was still totally numb down both legs and obviously not allowed to get up. The Drs were deciding and knowing we were flying out Saturday, they wanted me to stay. The recovery attendant, Mike, said that was the best choice. I told him about the 3 hour car ride back to central CA I would have had ahead of me and stunned, he said "Now I am really glad they made you stay!"
My in-laws went back to stay in Oakland, near the temple, and I went to the 8th floor to be settled into my room. Of course, I was wide awake and de-numbing when they left, but amazingly not super hungry. Even though I hadn't eaten since 10 pm the night before. After a Q&A of '"where's the food?" with half a dozen nurses, I finally got dinner when the nurse heard me tell my mom on the phone I was still waiting for food at 10 pm. Lesson learned: Don't get admitted at dinnertime.
Everything had gone so well and the Spirit of strength was palpable. I was so encouraged by what the Drs said and things seemed to be off to a great recovery. Putting all faith and trust in Him brought miracles we had only dreamed of.
My night nurse, Andrew, was from Perth, Australia and so helpful. He asked me about the iPad and what I use it for. Having the iPad was so nice, since the IV in my hand hurt to text, but I could hunt and peck the keys on the iPad to check email and stay somewhat connected. I called Bob and my mom, relaxed with some General Conference talks and went to sleep. At midnight, Andrew gave me some pain meds, but I didn't know what they were until the next day.
Comments