Happy Holidays

Christmas at the Pattens is a little different, or dare I say un-traditional. With moving and finishing up classes, this is first year we did not make our tree...we just used last years and it was perfect. Christmas Eve: homemade pizza and salad and cranberry-apple bread (which is James approved!) all but the egg and cinnamon. We read the Christmas story and opened one present each. One of the gifts was the Stories of Chritmas put out by church, so we watched "Mr. Krueger's Christmas" and then went to bed.

Christmas day- James woke us up while Ella slept the day away. At 9, we got her up and asked what day it was? "Church!" she said jumping up. LOL. Not quite. We had her wake up and tidy up her bedroom (A Bob Patten family tradition) and then were about to open presents when...the phone rang connecting us with all of Bob's family to talk to his sister Rachel serving her mission in Spain. It was so good to talk to her. She was so excited about everything...even confessed that she over did it on cough medicine, so that might be why she was a little loopy. After waiting patiently for an entire hour, Ella helped us start to open presents.

James was more interested in the wrapping then most of his gifts. WE found him his pen phone (no more stealing Ella's) where you can record Mommy or Daddy's voice to leave a message.

When James pressed the button and heard Daddy, immediately he recognized his voice and lit up.


Ella loved the Etch a Sketch Bob gave her. (Who says old school toys are out dated?) It's funny most of her gifts were ways to color without using stacks of paper (THANK YOU!)


This wool coat from my brother was awesome. Remember how I was annoyed with Black Friday? This coat is one of the many reasons. At the store, I picked up a different one and this one and decided I liked the other one instead and put this red one back. When I got to the register, the coat I wanted rang up for double what it was posted for... and even though they made the mistake, they wouldn't give it to me. But since I had already put this coat back, I left empty handed. :( But my family is awesome and went back to get it for me. Thank you so much. Don't know if the bad-taste of black friday is completely gone, but we'll see about next year...next year!


Last minute shopping, I found one of those light, sound moving picture frames for Bob. His "office" (storage room) doesn't have a window and hopefully, the waterfall sounds will help him focus on writing so he doesn't need to use his head phones in there :) That way, when I call him, he'll answer.

I love this picture! The funny thing is James is not very interested in this toy, but Ella always wants the hammer...

and No that is not a Coffee maker behind him. A Mr. Coffee package arrived from my brother in law and I was teasing my husband about him not knowing what religion we are...it's probably a hot chocolate maker. Well, before I opened the gift, Bob said I would laugh at what it was...sure enough it was a hot chocolate maker and it makes very smooth perfect temperature hot chocolate. Don't believe me? bring some treats and come on over to see for yourself. Thanks Dan! I really love it and just might have to "brew" a cup before school everyday :) Look what you started.

The rest of the day was spent enjoying family over the phone, skype and at the house. For one of the first times I can remember, Bob didn't have to work and was grand to have him home enjoying the kids and relaxing all day.

Merry Christmas! What a joyous time to serve others and reflect on how one man's time on this earth has influenced us all and blessed us beyond measure. May the Spirit of Christ continue to dwell in our hearts now and throughout the New Year.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sure it's not a real coffee maker. You probably just covered up with the whole hot chocolate thing to aviod us from calling your Bishop! Sike! Bob usually has to work on Christmas????

Popular Posts