twenty nine...THIRTY


Bob had a birthday. Again. He has been dreading it since his last one. But this time, he wanted to celebrate all month long. Being 30 for 30 days. How do you come up with something to do every day? Well, instead I chose to do a weekly date. So every Thursday, we go and do something together. We went to the temple, Barnes & Noble browsing, Planetarium and parenting classes (babysitting provided, Yeah!) Definitely great month of dates.


Anyway, with the BBQ he got in WA, we had some friends over and Bob made dinner for us all. I never realized how much work a BBQ is. All the shopping, preparing, shopping, organizing, stressing...hopefully, it gets easier every time. (Mom, I get it now!)

We went to see "Waiting for Godot" and the kids went to Lily's house. If you aren't familiar with the play, it is an abstract, theater of the absurd, kind-of show. It was the first play I read in college and because of the numerous ideas, analysis, interpretations, it is one I have always wanted to see. Unfortunately for Bob, it was on his party day. He was a good sport and even enjoyed himself somewhat.

The kids had a party of their own. Lily's dad took clothes pins and two blankets and strung them together into a massive fort! Perfect for watching movies and eating snacks.


three amigos

Bob's real birthday was on Sunday. Oh course we had to celebrate some more! Only this time, we went coastal:


Island escape in the kitchen--Barbados style

Chicken Barbados

I know it was Sunday, but I hired some "will work for food" back up singers


Oh and years ago, I made a horrible mess with my roommate, learning to open a coconut. A new experience is always fun for birthdays. So we let Bob have a whack at his first coconut. And he talked about it to everyone :) It was a smash hit.


(Are you as scared as I was?)



Turns out the easiest way we found to open a coconut:

1) drain the milk by making holes in the "eyes"(the milk stains...lesson learned)
2) put the drained coconut shell in a plastic bag
3) throw it to the ground

For dessert, we made tortilla fruit crisps. Cinnamon tortillas with fruit and cream.

(Except for the fried bananas, I might have to go coastal for real sometime. It was heavenly)

Oh and this card was making fun of how boring it would be if we all had the same name...can you guess the name?


A special thanks to all those who helped on the Birthday Committee :) Still working on compiling that for the rest of you to enjoy with the birthday boy's permission of course.

Happy Brithday sweetheart. Looks like it's going to be another great year. Until next time when another birthday means you're getting older...still. We love you.

Comments

Popular Posts