Wheat everything, well almost

For those of you who are gluten intolerant or otherwise can't have gluten, I'm sorry!

I adore wheat thins and got thinking...
perhaps we could make our own?
And if that, then what else could we make?


We recently discovered how much fun and how versatile wheat can be. A few years ago, I "broke my back" buying and lifting a storage bucket of wheat. We have moved into three rentals homes and finally we opened the wheat last year (but that's beside the point.) The kids helped me grind the wheat and the first time poor James looked like a ghost, I didn't get the bowl under all the way and it dusted his face all over. Oops! It took him awhile to trust me that that wouldn't happen again if he watched... 

Now that we live out in the country, it's not as easy to run to the store. Believe me, that's a good thing. So our new motto is: If we can make it, we are not buying it. (Unless Mom decides it is totally not worth it...the power of the Veto:)

So what to DO with wheat? We've made bread, rolls, graham crackers, whole wheat pie crust, wheat cookies, wheat thin crackers, wh, wh. That's a lot of W's. I feel a little winded. 

half wheat, half all purpose flour bread bowls 

graham crackers! kid friendly size and shape :) 

Even with a double batch, these don't last long

Whole wheat cinnamon bread. Oh, that reminds me of Bob's Father's Day breakfast:
 Cinnamon roll pancakes!!! Not whole wheat, but an easy FAST way to get cinnamon rolls.
I didn't have the energy (or time) to make real cinnamon rolls, but those pancakes were phenomenal!   

Apple pie, wheat crust with struesel topping (not stressful like my spell check thinks struesel should be spelled :)  
I tasted this incredible french bread (a "thank you" gift from a sister in the ward when the four of us sang a capella in church) and got the recipe. It's fantastic, but it's all white flour. Not anymore, I switched it for whole wheat and some gluten and now it it awesome and healthy!


French bread recipe
“ A sister in the ward brought this over after we sang in church. We had a store bought loaf and compared the two. An instant hit!”


1 Tbsp yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tsp oil
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups hot water
4 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in water. Add rest of ingredients. Mix well. Roll to a long loaf. Cut three slits diagonally about ¼ inch deep and 3 inches long. Brush egg whites on top. Put on greased cookie sheet. Let double in size. Bake at 400 degrees for 23 minutes. Works great as pizza dough.

Variation: 
Use 3 cups Whole Wheat flour and 3 Tbl vital gluten and extra water as needed. I lowered the temperature to 375 degrees for 15 minutes when we made hoagie rolls. Delish! 

Oh the joys of cooking. Just wish the dishes did themselves...honestly, I don't know about you, but that's what keeps me out of the kitchen the most.

Comments

Popular Posts