A New Jersey Birthday

Take a trip with me, back in time eight years ago: Bob was serving his mission in Cherry Hill New Jersey! While there his parents sent him Hostess cupcakes to celebrate his first birthday on the mission. He also decided to silence an entire line of people by ordering a Peanut Butter water ice (aka sno-cone)...yes you read the flavor correctly!



So zoom ahead to June 12, 2009 (last Friday): Happy ?? Birthday Bob!
I will refrain from adding how old he is since he has complained about aging for the last well almost all year...so the goal for his birthday was to help him forget how old he was turning and I think we were successful. Bob took the day off work and I kicked him out of the house to go to the Temple, and library (his two favorite places) while Ella and I worked our magic. He returned, suit and tie, (just like on the mission, how appropriate!) to a "New Jersey" kitchen.

The liquid next to the cake is the beloved (and extremely hard to find around here, I might add) Peanut Butter syrup for sno-cones, malts, milkshakes, Italian sodas and more commonly used for coffee and espressos (hence why I had a hard time finding it!) but I finally found it here in Rexburg, after traveling to Idaho Falls for it...Dolce Vita serves Italian sodas and they sold me the humongous bottle wholesale. So any one who has a strange craving for a peanut butter sno-cone, you bring the ice and we'll add the syrup :) Thanks for Michele and David for letting us borrow your machine, maybe we should have bought one when they were on sale, we have already used it more than our ice cream maker :)


I have been planning part of his birthday surprise for the last few months but only figured out his cake the day before his birthday. I knew it would be chocolate, but hadn't thought about it much more than that. Bob told me the hostess cupcake story and as soon as he left I found a recipe to make homemade hostess cupcakes and used half the batter to make a 9'' cake and lots of scrumptious cupcakes!


Another way Bob felt like a little kid! You goota love Hewey, Dewey and Louey! Thanks Pattens, now we can remember the 'good ole days' and Ella can be exposed to quality cartoons.


Ella gave Daddy rocket Balloons that were actually a much a bigger hit than I thought they'd be. Blow them up really big and then hold them in the air and let 'er fly! Only how about you fly it where there aren't trees? Luckily for Ella, he flew the yellow one and not the red one first...if you look really close you can see it where Bob's head and the angle of the roof meet, and it is still up there. Good thing there was more than one in the package.



I directed them over to the tracks where it is a little more open and we blew and flew. They shrieked like crazy as the air dispelled which kids love at least my 3 kids did :)

They were hard to blow up at first,

but Bob got the hang of it!


Our neighbor volunteered to watch the kids so we could just hang out and it was awesome. We recently discovered the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes collection at the library and enjoy watching those, especially without interruptions like crying children. Thanks again Andrea, you are the best!

All in all we had a great day and really didn't want it to end. Bob and I stayed up till 3 AM when I realized I had forgotten to register for classes, so I did that, and then we went to bed with the excited realization the next day was Saturday. More weekend fun to come!

Comments

Popular Posts