Mini-Philmont with President Adrian Ochoa
As mentioned, Bob and I went to a mini-Philmont training last weekend. Philmont is where Bob remembers being lost as a child when the General Primary Presidency and the WHOLE camp were out searching for him years ago :) And all because of a cute girl...
Thankfully, Bob did not get lost this time. And it was not is New Mexico (bummer!) President Ochoa said he is going to suggest this training idea to the LDS First Presidency so if your stake has oneand you get the chance: GO! It is so worth it to get BSA leaders and LDS leaders training with the Spirit to help us do the best for our Scouts.
I attended 6-10 Friday night: the "devotional" part of the meetings and took the kids to the sister's house, who volunteered to watch the kids so Bob and I could attend. The conference centered on how the Conference missionary announcement changes everything for us as scout leaders and youth/primary presidencies. I'll admit, I didn't really think it would be that different for me as Webelos leader. But for Bob as 11 year old, he would need to be there. One year, big deal. Oh but it is!
(These are my notes and thoughts on the meeting)
And the new curriculum is perfect for these Latter-Day youth. Elder Nelson said this program will change the church and youth as much as Preach my Gospel has changed the missionary program.
By 18, if the young men are going to be ready and worthy to serve, they need to have taken mission prep, yes, but also temple prep so they can go through and be "endowed with power" before leaving to serve the Lord. And if they are not prepared and ready to go, it is not our place to judge them. President Ochoa says, the responsibility falls to their parents and us, as their leaders, for not preparing the youth enough if they have no desire or are not ready to go. Yikes! We have to step it up and study harder, to teach simpler and more effectively. "Ever boy saved, saves a family, saves a generation" not to mention all the lives that one boy can touch while serving his mission.
Our Stake President suggested, boys should have an 11 year old class presidency to give them opportunity to lead...which he said, meant they need to be ready to lead by the time they leave Webelos! I was stunned. The Bishop's son is in barely my den and Bishop said a few weeks ago "we have one less year, we have to be stronger better leaders and prepare them to lead earlier." The responsibility is incredible but so exciting to teach the warriors of truth in these the latter days! The Stake President went on to ask: "Should Preach my Gospel be part of Webelos?" I had not considered that before, but yes, I believe for my boys, as we find ways we should include it in the program.
Elder Robert E. Chambers had schedule conflicts, but really wanted to come, so he arrived later and spoke last. He suggested having a young man who is not ready to serve a mission describe his idea of a missionary and then as a leader, describe what you see in that young man. As Stake President, Elder Chambers called a newly ordained deacon and his parents into his office. He told them his vision of the young man at age 18, seeing him a missionary with his call. He then got a form with 9 elements of the gospel that he wanted to boy to follow. Both he and the young man signed the form and he requested the young man bring it with him when he turned 18. Why did he do this? Elder Chambers realized he needed to know the boys and be able to help them before they came into his office at 18 to go through the temple in preparation for their missions. "The new youth curriculum will hasten the work of the Lord instilling in us (as leaders) the urgency of His work"
I picked up my kids around 10 and relieved my friend of watching them at 6 AM the next morning, when I would have to bring them back...(She volunteered to watch them, but I didn't want to put two kids to bed late, get them up super early, drop them off until 2 in the afternoon, then she would never watch them again! :) Dallin and MariAnn graciously came over to stay the night and watch the kids during the next day's meetings! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Bob and I slept in, woke at 7:15, had to scrape the car...first time of the season...and got there jut in time to grab a speedy bite of breakfast and head to our respective meetings. It was then I realized: This was training! And Bob and I were already trained...so why did we get out of bed so early :) Could have been the breakfast...But even still, I learned one thing: Only the Webelos leader can sign the Webelos book! There is one badge that a "family member" can sign off, but that is it. Yep, I think that is all I learned at the morning training. (Except that my Cubmaster has an absolute aversion to silly songs and actions like the Wad-a-li-atcha and we leave repeatedly to get out of doing it.)
Stake President (Sugar Stake) Cornelius talked about Wasatch-itis, as Elder Bednar refers to the religious family, community always watching, so that the youth don't get the chance to make mistakes. Our job is to give them those chances and give them the courage to keep going after the mistake. To learn from it and move on. Wasatch-itis is a huge problem in the mission field and now it is up to us as leaders what happens with the next wave of missionaries.
President Ochoa spoke about how we should envision those we lead. As we picture them as Heavenly Father does, our goal is to allow the boys to see the eyes of Christ in their leaders eyes. "Faithful missionaries find families." We can't do it for them, need to give them time to think, ponder and help them have more faith than fear.
But the coolest part was at the table after the training when we had lunch. The food was good, but the conversation was exactly what we needed. You see, I had one boy in Webelos and now he is one boy in 11 year scouts with Bob. There are always questions as to what he can/should do, his mom is in the Primary as Scout leader, Bishop came and said "what are we talking about?" so we had everyone at the table we needed to discuss this boys needs and in keeping in policy with both BSA and the church. Our landlord sat by us and although he is not in Scouts right now, he brought so much to the conversation and in the end, we all knew what to do about the situation.
We ended with a Q&A session. President Ochoa said people ask him what he would do better if he were a Bishop 1) Have better organization, 2) Devote more to the youth 3) Rely on Aaronic Priesthood power.
Thankfully Bob and I did our outdoor training earlier this year, so we were free to go home!
And then Surprise: President Ochoa came to our ward on Sunday and spoke with the youth (not parents :) about the new program. Check it out if you wanted yet!
I love scouting and am excited after all these years of watching my dad be scout master, it's my turn to help. Thanks Dad for the great example and always doing your best.
Thankfully, Bob did not get lost this time. And it was not is New Mexico (bummer!) President Ochoa said he is going to suggest this training idea to the LDS First Presidency so if your stake has oneand you get the chance: GO! It is so worth it to get BSA leaders and LDS leaders training with the Spirit to help us do the best for our Scouts.
I attended 6-10 Friday night: the "devotional" part of the meetings and took the kids to the sister's house, who volunteered to watch the kids so Bob and I could attend. The conference centered on how the Conference missionary announcement changes everything for us as scout leaders and youth/primary presidencies. I'll admit, I didn't really think it would be that different for me as Webelos leader. But for Bob as 11 year old, he would need to be there. One year, big deal. Oh but it is!
(These are my notes and thoughts on the meeting)
And the new curriculum is perfect for these Latter-Day youth. Elder Nelson said this program will change the church and youth as much as Preach my Gospel has changed the missionary program.
By 18, if the young men are going to be ready and worthy to serve, they need to have taken mission prep, yes, but also temple prep so they can go through and be "endowed with power" before leaving to serve the Lord. And if they are not prepared and ready to go, it is not our place to judge them. President Ochoa says, the responsibility falls to their parents and us, as their leaders, for not preparing the youth enough if they have no desire or are not ready to go. Yikes! We have to step it up and study harder, to teach simpler and more effectively. "Ever boy saved, saves a family, saves a generation" not to mention all the lives that one boy can touch while serving his mission.
Our Stake President suggested, boys should have an 11 year old class presidency to give them opportunity to lead...which he said, meant they need to be ready to lead by the time they leave Webelos! I was stunned. The Bishop's son is in barely my den and Bishop said a few weeks ago "we have one less year, we have to be stronger better leaders and prepare them to lead earlier." The responsibility is incredible but so exciting to teach the warriors of truth in these the latter days! The Stake President went on to ask: "Should Preach my Gospel be part of Webelos?" I had not considered that before, but yes, I believe for my boys, as we find ways we should include it in the program.
Elder Robert E. Chambers had schedule conflicts, but really wanted to come, so he arrived later and spoke last. He suggested having a young man who is not ready to serve a mission describe his idea of a missionary and then as a leader, describe what you see in that young man. As Stake President, Elder Chambers called a newly ordained deacon and his parents into his office. He told them his vision of the young man at age 18, seeing him a missionary with his call. He then got a form with 9 elements of the gospel that he wanted to boy to follow. Both he and the young man signed the form and he requested the young man bring it with him when he turned 18. Why did he do this? Elder Chambers realized he needed to know the boys and be able to help them before they came into his office at 18 to go through the temple in preparation for their missions. "The new youth curriculum will hasten the work of the Lord instilling in us (as leaders) the urgency of His work"
I picked up my kids around 10 and relieved my friend of watching them at 6 AM the next morning, when I would have to bring them back...(She volunteered to watch them, but I didn't want to put two kids to bed late, get them up super early, drop them off until 2 in the afternoon, then she would never watch them again! :) Dallin and MariAnn graciously came over to stay the night and watch the kids during the next day's meetings! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Bob and I slept in, woke at 7:15, had to scrape the car...first time of the season...and got there jut in time to grab a speedy bite of breakfast and head to our respective meetings. It was then I realized: This was training! And Bob and I were already trained...so why did we get out of bed so early :) Could have been the breakfast...But even still, I learned one thing: Only the Webelos leader can sign the Webelos book! There is one badge that a "family member" can sign off, but that is it. Yep, I think that is all I learned at the morning training. (Except that my Cubmaster has an absolute aversion to silly songs and actions like the Wad-a-li-atcha and we leave repeatedly to get out of doing it.)
Stake President (Sugar Stake) Cornelius talked about Wasatch-itis, as Elder Bednar refers to the religious family, community always watching, so that the youth don't get the chance to make mistakes. Our job is to give them those chances and give them the courage to keep going after the mistake. To learn from it and move on. Wasatch-itis is a huge problem in the mission field and now it is up to us as leaders what happens with the next wave of missionaries.
President Ochoa spoke about how we should envision those we lead. As we picture them as Heavenly Father does, our goal is to allow the boys to see the eyes of Christ in their leaders eyes. "Faithful missionaries find families." We can't do it for them, need to give them time to think, ponder and help them have more faith than fear.
But the coolest part was at the table after the training when we had lunch. The food was good, but the conversation was exactly what we needed. You see, I had one boy in Webelos and now he is one boy in 11 year scouts with Bob. There are always questions as to what he can/should do, his mom is in the Primary as Scout leader, Bishop came and said "what are we talking about?" so we had everyone at the table we needed to discuss this boys needs and in keeping in policy with both BSA and the church. Our landlord sat by us and although he is not in Scouts right now, he brought so much to the conversation and in the end, we all knew what to do about the situation.
We ended with a Q&A session. President Ochoa said people ask him what he would do better if he were a Bishop 1) Have better organization, 2) Devote more to the youth 3) Rely on Aaronic Priesthood power.
Thankfully Bob and I did our outdoor training earlier this year, so we were free to go home!
And then Surprise: President Ochoa came to our ward on Sunday and spoke with the youth (not parents :) about the new program. Check it out if you wanted yet!
I love scouting and am excited after all these years of watching my dad be scout master, it's my turn to help. Thanks Dad for the great example and always doing your best.
Comments