What's orange and smells, "Oh, so good?"
Remember how Ella sprained her ankle? The next day, we headed out to Rigby for the "Punkin Patch." It's between Rigby and Ririe and I finally found it and was the first one there, even though I got turned around more than three times!
While we waited for the kids, the owner explained how she cooks her pumpkins. (Last year, I cooked some, but wasn't excited about the stringys. Ech.) Anyway, she said she "washes, stabs and cooks the pumpkins whole in the oven. After slicing it open, the insides scoop out like melted butter!" Intrigued? I bought some sweet pie pumpkins to try it myself. (see end of this post)
The bus also got lost...but eventually, they arrived--all the first and second graders from the school! We ate our sack lunch and then got down to business
Finding each other in the straw maze was awesome! Stacked two bales high, it was perfect for adults to supervise and yet not (really) lose any kids from sight. James loved being with all the big kids!
Personalizing the punk :)
About a week later, we realized we had a job to do before Halloween. Every year we paint our pumpkins, kids love it and except for the colorful arm casualties, it is pretty easy clean-up, especially with washable paints :) No stringys, no flames, no sharp objects, no whining. Oh happy day!
Don't eat until...
Wash pumpkins. Stab to give steam holes. (Use pumpkins that DON'T already have holes in them from carving, etc. We could wash the paint off, but we had TONS to choose from this year thanks to our country neighbors :)
Warning: Check the sizes first. I washed and stabbed a pumpkin only to realize it was too large to fit in my oven...I ended up peeling it raw and boiling it, steaming and microwaving it! It was a good 30 lb friend, so guess what my freezer (and fridge) is FULL of?
While we waited for the kids, the owner explained how she cooks her pumpkins. (Last year, I cooked some, but wasn't excited about the stringys. Ech.) Anyway, she said she "washes, stabs and cooks the pumpkins whole in the oven. After slicing it open, the insides scoop out like melted butter!" Intrigued? I bought some sweet pie pumpkins to try it myself. (see end of this post)
The bus also got lost...but eventually, they arrived--all the first and second graders from the school! We ate our sack lunch and then got down to business
Finding each other in the straw maze was awesome! Stacked two bales high, it was perfect for adults to supervise and yet not (really) lose any kids from sight. James loved being with all the big kids!
![]() |
| Class Picture 1st Grade |
Personalizing the punk :)
About a week later, we realized we had a job to do before Halloween. Every year we paint our pumpkins, kids love it and except for the colorful arm casualties, it is pretty easy clean-up, especially with washable paints :) No stringys, no flames, no sharp objects, no whining. Oh happy day!
![]() |
| Last year, he painted the whole thing orange... glad to see some more colors this year |
![]() |
| My contribution. Bob painted the other half with a bloody zombie |
Don't eat until...
Wash pumpkins. Stab to give steam holes. (Use pumpkins that DON'T already have holes in them from carving, etc. We could wash the paint off, but we had TONS to choose from this year thanks to our country neighbors :)
Warning: Check the sizes first. I washed and stabbed a pumpkin only to realize it was too large to fit in my oven...I ended up peeling it raw and boiling it, steaming and microwaving it! It was a good 30 lb friend, so guess what my freezer (and fridge) is FULL of?
![]() |
| Front two sweet pie pumpkins cooked with a Connecticut Field pumpkin next on the chopping block |
![]() |
| So weird to peel a pumpkin |
![]() |
| This one I sliced open first. You'll be happy if you keep it on a tray or slice it in the sink as all the HOT water gushes out |
Loved this method of cooking and separating the pumpkin! We'll see how much pumpkin we actually eat. But oh, I found a divine Pumpkin bread with orange zest recipe by Chef Jamie Gwen (yes, I am partial to her, same name and all) so already we have eaten more than last year..and Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Pumpkin pie anyone?











Comments