Double "Ugh" day

In our house, occasionally Mom has "ugh" days. You know what I mean, the "I-don't want-to/can't-do-anything"  kind of days. For me, a bad leg day totally qualifies and to the kids, that's a good thing: it means movies, Mom not making them do chores, etc. so they like "ugh" days...thanks for the love, guys.

Well, today is a DOUBLE "ugh" day that started last night when Ella and James went over to a friend's house and jumped on the trampoline (Do you see where this is going?) 

An hour later, she came home teary-eyed but not horribly upset and said her foot hurts a little. She was walking fine, so I finished getting dinner ready, we ate dinner and just before putting on her PJs, I looked at it. 





I was looking for a little scrape or bruise where she hurt it, not a swollen ankle! Granted, it doesn't look that bad in the picture, but her other ankle is tiny, so comparing the two, it was measured to be an inch wider across the bone.

"Ella, does it hurt?" 
"A little"

She then told me when she hurt it by landing wrong on it, she had one of the girls carry her inside, they iced it and she watched movies for the rest of the time she was there. Then she walked home (basically from the bus stop) Now, two hours later, I get "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey called it.

Bob had scouts and wasn't home, so I called my new Webelos assistant and good friend, Shelly. She brought over some ace bandage and couldn't believe how swollen it was! And that it didn't really bother Ella.

Irony of it all: Bob was saying Friday how you could tell growing up which kid had a trampoline by the sprained ankle they sported...No, Ella didn't hear us talking about that, either!

This morning, it looked like this, hadn't changed in size so I took her in to have it checked out. Shelly volunteered to watch James . (Did I mention how awesome she is?) . So Thankful for her help.





Ella walked in to the drs., waited, walked to X-rays, took X-rays, walked back, waited and thankfully, it is only a sprain. Nothing broken. 

She has one of those gel braces to wear, but it doesn't fit in her shoe, so I carried her. (It's been a long time since I have done that! And she is much older now) ...She was so upset, about the brace, not the pain, and heard the dr. say 4 weeks to fully heal. "I can't go to school for 4 weeks!" Besides reading and writing, I know she was thinking of at least two field trips she would miss. She didn't want to miss school to go to Dr.s but I kept her home all day, so she can enjoy the Pumpkin Patch field trip, you guessed it, TOMORROW :) She's a trooper! 

At least all we have scheduled for today is Parent Teacher Conference in a few hours.  

Comments

Popular Posts